South Dakota Counselors,
We wanted to bring to your attention a very serious matter regarding a bill being considered by our state legislators in this current term. House Bill 1077 (http://legis.sd.gov/docs/legsession/2015/Bills/HB1077P.pdf) would allow parents of any children 16 years old or young to waive their child's right to privilege when working with school counselors or school psychologists. As an association, we are extremely concerned with the implications this could create when working with students.
As professionals, we recognize the importance of a parent's role in their child's life; but we are also able to build relationships of trust with students of all ages based on the privacy afforded us. As both ethically and legally bound to be mandatory reporters, we do break our silence when it is undoubtedly in the best interest of those we serve.
In its current form HB 1077 has been referred to the Education Committee and will be heard TOMORROW Wednesday, January 28. Please join SDSCA in contacting both your local state representatives and senators as well as members of the Education Committee to let them know how detrimental this bill could be to the work that school counselors do on a daily basis. We must work together for the good of our profession and most importantly those we serve. Please use the link below to help you confirm who your legislator is.
Thank you for you quick action on this matter. A short note could make a big difference!
SDSCA Government Relations Chair
2015 Day on the Hill
Contact Kelly Jones if you want to participate or have questions!
Agenda: Thursday, January 29th Governors Inn, Pierre
· 6:00 pm ~ SDCA board meeting
· 7:45 pm ~ Orientation to current legislative issues & the action plan for Friday.
Dianna Miller our legislative monitor will be joining us.
· 9:00 pm ~ SDMHCA board meeting
Friday, January 30th Capitol Building, Pierre
· 7:30 am ~ Brief meeting in the President’s Lobby for those who only can attend for the day.
· 7:30 – 10:30 am ~ Coffee and Connect!!
· Throughout the morning ~ attend committee meetings and follow a variety of issues.
· 11:45 am – 1:00pm ~ Luncheon at Red Rossa Italian Grille provided by SDCA. Senator Deb Soholt be meeting with us. She will be updating us on what’s happening with the Jolene’s Law Task Force and the suggested changes in procedure for prevention and intervention in Child Abuse in South Dakota. This will be geared to both community & school counselors.
Join us for all or part of the activities!
To reserve a room for the 29th, contact Rebecca Christiansen at firstname.lastname@example.org
A limited number of rooms are available at reduced rates at the Governor’s Inn. Please do so by: January 8th.
$25 stipend is available per participant to help with expenses for those individuals not on a board.